Titel Sturm der Liebe
Sturm der Liebe

MARSEILLE, France -- Mark Cavendish will never be the greatest Tour de France rider, because he will never win the race five tim

in News 19.03.2019 08:53
von jokergreen0220 | 1.860 Beiträge

MARSEILLE, France -- Mark Cavendish will never be the greatest Tour de France rider, because he will never win the race five times like Eddy Merkcx of Belgium and Frenchman Bernard Hinault. Nike Air Max Plus Discount . Still, the sprinter with thighs like thick hams could outdo both of those legends -- by winning more stages than them at cyclings premier race. By Cavendishs warp-speed standards, his 24th stage win on Wednesday was like taking candy from a baby. The teammates who led Cavendish to the finish, sucking him along in their wheels, building up his speed, were toiling like clockwork. Stamping on his pedals, head down, thighs pumping like pistons, Cavendish then whooshed off alone for the last 150 metres (yards), leaving everyone else in his wake. Cavendish was carrying so much momentum and this win in Marseille, Frances second-largest city, was so comfortable that he was able to sit up in the saddle and make a hand motion like cracking a whip as he crossed the line. One more stage win will tie Cavendish with Andre Leducq, the Frenchman who got 25 stage wins in the 1920s and 1930s, putting him third on the all-time list. Beyond Leducq is Hinault, who notched up 28 wins in the 1970s and 80s. Merckxs monument is 34, won from 1969 to 1975. Jacques Anquetil and Miguel Indurain also won five Tours, but didnt win as many stages as Hinault and Merckx. Anquetil won 16; Indurain got 12. All seven of Lance Armstrong Tour wins were stripped from him for doping. This 100th Tour is the first since Armstrongs fall last year. Victorias Ryder Hesjedal was the top Canadian in the fifth stage, finishing 103rd. Hesjedal, who confirmed Wednesday that hes racing with a broken rib, is 14th in the overall classification, 17 seconds behind Gerrans. Quebec Citys David Veilleux is 143rd, 25 minutes and 28 seconds off the pace, while Svein Tuft of Langley, B.C., is 169th, 33:23 off the pace. Cavendish makes out that he isnt fixated on Hinault or Merckxs numbers. He notes that for many riders, winning just one stage at the 110-year-old Tour -- let alone the 11 he needs to overhaul Merckx -- is a career-defining feat. "You have to show the Tour de France the respect it deserves," he said. But then Cavendish isnt any other rider. Before this edition, he collected on average nearly five wins at every Tour since 2008. In 2009, he got six. He won the last four sprint finishes on the Champs-Elysees in Paris, where he is unbeaten since 2009. While Merckxs record is still a way off, Hinault and most certainly Leducq look within Cavendishs grasp. "Obviously I aim to win multiple stages each year. But to set any goals, any number ... it does one of two things: It sets you up to fail for something or it puts like a mark on what you want to achieve and it can kind of stop you trying to move forward," he said. Were Cavendish to overtake Hinault, it wouldnt mean he is a better overall rider than the famously bad-tempered "Badger," who was strong on every terrain. But in a sprint, Cavendish has no equal, at least in this generation. Although Cavendish downplays the chase for stage-win milestones, he is certainly very aware of them. The Tour director, Christian Prudhomme, says that more than a year ago, at the Tour of Oman, he quietly tested Cavendishs knowledge of Tour de France history and was delighted when he rattled off the names of Andre Darrigade, who won 22 stages in the 1950s and 60s, as well as Leducq, Hinault, Merckx and their respective totals. "He is aware of what does it take ... to become No. 1 on the list of most winning riders ever," confirmed Rolf Aldag, one of the managers of Cavendishs Omega Pharma-Quick Step team. "He has a chance to make history," he said. "Its a goal, its a target." Cavendish would be the first to note that, unlike Merckx, he doesnt win alone. His teammates worked tirelessly to manoeuvre him into place in Marseille. They helped reel in breakaway riders who scooted off ahead and then delivered him like express mail to within sight of the line. Omegas Italian rider, Matteo Trentin, surged to the front and pedalled as hard as he could up to and around the final left-hand bend, pulling Gert Steegmans and Cavendish behind him. Exhausted, Trentin then made way for Steegmans, who led Cavendish at top speed to the signboard marking 150 metres to go. From there, the man known as the "Manx Missile," because he comes from the Isle of Man, did the rest. "Perfect, man, perfect," Trentin said. "The basic plan never changes," Aldag said. "The basic plan is always we believe hes the fastest sprinter and we do everything that needs to be done to try to make him win." "I didnt do anything," Cavendish said. "Gert went with such speed that I could accelerate off his wheel and just carried on the speed he delivered me at." Stage 6 on Thursday -- 176.5 kilometres (110 miles) from Aix-en-Provence to Montpellier -- should also suit Cavendish, because it is flat. With his short, muscular frame, he doesnt like steep climbs. Simon Gerrans of Australia will again wear the yellow jersey, after keeping the race lead on Wednesdays bumpy 228.5-kilometre (142-mile) trek from the beach resort of Cagnes-sur-Mer. Buy Nike Air Max Plus Australia .com) - Willie Cauley-Stein and Karl-Anthony Towns each scored 12 points in the top-ranked Kentucky Wildcats 70-55 victory over the Alabama Crimson Tide. Nike Air Max Plus Cheap .C. -- Marcus Paige and his North Carolina teammates have endured so many wild swings -- big wins, surprising losses, NCAA drama -- that no one can blame their Hall of Fame coach for wondering whats next. http://www.wholesaleairmaxplusaustralia.com/ . -- Quarterback Josh Johnson has returned to the San Francisco 49ers and his former college coach, Jim Harbaugh.After playing at Middlesbrough for nearly his whole career, Seb Hines has been loving life at Orlando City in MLS. Hines traded his hometown club for the Lions before their inaugural MLS season last year, and so far hes been a regular starter for the club, who finished just outside the play-off places in seventh last season.Two games into the 2016 campaign, and Orlando have picked up two home points, most recently a 1-1 draw against Chicago Fire. Orlando now travel to Yankee Stadium to take on New York City FC - live on Sky Sports - where Hines will be responsible for marking one of the best players in the league in David Villa.We asked Hines 10 MLS-related questions, as he tells us all about life across the pond and playing in one of Americas rapidly growing football hotbeds. How would you assess Orlando as a place for football... or soccer? Orlando played out a 2-2 draw in front of over 60,000 fans in their opening game of the season against Real Salt Lake The buzz for soccer around Orlando, whoever you talk to, is just unbelievable.We had 60,000 fans there for our first game on the opening day [against Real Salt Lake] which was amazing and we could leave the stadium with our head held high after going 2-0 down and bringing it back to make it 2-2.Wherever you go around Orlando you see a sea of purple, its a carnival atmosphere on the streets and the citys taken to football in America.How would you compare the fan culture and gameday experience to England? A very different fan experience in MLS compared to England I feel its more of an event. People make more of a day of it, even from getting there five hours before a game, theyll be there outside the stadium with barbeques and picnics.Theyre really all up for the game prior to the match whilst in England I felt like you just turned up.You might go to the pub before you go to the game. Its more for the families here and I cant talk highly enough about the fans.Other English players and former team-mates you talk to in MLS? Seb Hines spoke to Giles Barnes (R) before deciding to make the move to MLS We had Sean St. Ledger here, hes at Colorado now but I keep in touch with him. I see a couple of players who were up against like Bradley Wright-Phillips and my former team-mate at Middlesbrough Kei Kamara.Giles Barnes [at Houston Dynamo], I spoke to him before I came out here asking about the league and how its set up and he said: youll enjoy it mate, its definitely an exciting league to be involved in.An attractive prospect to play in MLS? A trip to Disneyland after training is a very realistic option for Hines MLS is a well-run organisation, its exciting, if you have the opportunity to play out here then you should definitely think about it.Ive enjoyed every moment of it. After training I could go to the pool, the beach, Disneyland, I could go wherever! Its amazing, whereas in Middlesbrough you dont get those sorts of opportunities to do that.Even in the off-season I just stay, because if I was back home I would go back out of Orlando to go on holiday. I just make full use of whats around me.What is it like playing alongside Kaka and what kind of influence does he have? Kaka is Orlando Citys captain Its massive. Hes a leader for our team. Hes plaayed at the highest level. Wholesale Nike Air Max Plus. Hes won every competition that a footballer wants to win and I cant speak highly enough of him.Weve got a lot of young players in the team and we need his experience to drive us on and become winners.Other Orlando players to look out for? Orlando City striker Cyle Larin has scored 19 goals in 29 matches I would say Cyle Larin. Everything he touches turns into goals. Hes young, hes exciting and definitely one to watch for the future.We have got a young team with a lot of young players. Im classed as a senior, a veteran and Im 27!A lot of these players come straight from college and into a professional environment which is exciting for them and a massive learning curve.Are you looking forward to seeing former AC Milan and West Ham midfielder Antonio Nocerino in action? Hines says Nocerino brings high level experience to the side Hes a very good technical player, we havent seen much of him because hes just come in so itll be good to see how he does in the team and what he can bring.He definitely adds the talent, he also has experience of playing at the highest level. You dont play for AC Milan and then be rubbish so he is definitely a great addition to our team.How do you compare MLS to the Championship? Hines (L) was owned by Middlesbrough since the start of his career before moving to MLS I would say its one of the highest leagues in the world.Youve got the Premiership, La Liga, Serie A, after that Im not sure if you would find World Cup winners, Ballon Dor winners in the same league.You have to be so, so aware of everyones talent so its definitely a growing league, it will only get bigger with the players coming over from Europe and Im glad that Im a part of it and see the development over the seasons.Play New York City FC this weekend - what is it like as a defender going up against the likes of David Villa and Andrea Pirlo? Hines will be up against the likes of Andrea Pirlo and David Villa on Friday evening You want to play against the best players in the world and thats definitely something you can do out here in MLS.One week you play David Villa, the next you might be playing Didier Drogba. You dont see those types of players in the Championship so its definitely a great challenge for me and the younger players in our team.I played against David Villa three times last year and hes definitely a talent. Hes won World Cups, hes won Champions Leagues so were all aware of what hes capable of.Its just trying to contain him and give him minimal chances against us [on Friday].Is MLS Cup being spoken about? The Philip F. Anschutz trophy - or better known as MLS Cup Right now we need to make play-offs. We fell one game too short [last year] and when you make the play-offs anything can happen.Last year Portland won it and we managed to beat Portland away [last year] so we know that were more than capable of making it.Were all in high hopes but right now were just trying to make play-offs and win as many games as we can. Also See: MLS: Giovinco leads fightback WATCH: Incredible Amarikwa chip 10 MLS questions for Ridgewell WATCH: MLS highlights ' ' '

nach oben springen

Um alle Beiträge lesen zu können und Beiträge zu schreiben, musst du registriert sein. Du kannst dich registrieren indem du oben im Menü auf 'Anmelden' klickst. Nach der Anmeldung bekommst du eine E-Mail, diese musst du bestätigen um deinen Account freizuschalten.

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: stürmisch
Besucherzähler
Heute waren 57 Gäste online.

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 8174 Themen und 41565 Beiträge.

Heute waren 0 Mitglieder Online:

Besucherrekord: 384 Benutzer (11.11.2013 15:35).

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Forum erstellen | ©Xobor.de